Saying it will try to move away from ecologically unfriendly practices such as building 115,000 square foot studios without the business base to support it, Digital Domain yesterday vowed to “Go Green” by 2014.
The company claimed that it could no longer run an unsustainable visual effects business and that running a sustainable visual effects business would be much better in the long run for its customers, shareholders and the environment. At a Monday press conference, the company pledged to build a viable, more environmentally friendly visual effects business, saying that staving off bankruptcy through massive employee layoffs was only one of a host of newly implemented carbon neutral downsizing and restructuring efforts that will ensure a healthier and more energy efficient workforce.
According to a company spokesperson, “The carbon footprint of hiring and then moving several hundred families across the U.S., only to lay them off a year later, is staggering and frankly, extremely wasteful. Digital Domain is dedicated to phasing out ecologically unsound business practices such as overstating the abundance of feature film visual effects projects as well as thoughtless and wasteful underutilization of endangered local talent pools.”
The company pledged to start using “smart recruiting systems” to replace older, more inefficient artists that are costlier to run with newer, more cost effective and energy efficient student labor.
In addition, the company made public a list of recommendations to help current and former staff members become active participants in the Go Green initiative, which includes the following:
- Turn off all computers, monitors and lamps before leaving your desk area for the last time.
- Take the stairs, not the elevators, after clearing out your office.
- Updated resumes should be printed double-sided to conserve paper and toner.
- Make sure to throw empty Prozac bottles in the blue recycling bins.
- Try to buy locally produced and sourced Tagamet.
- Carpool or take the bus to Reemployment Assistance offices whenever possible.
- When crying, look for brands of eco-friendly facial tissue that use a high percentage of post-consumer recycled content, thus cutting down your contribution to old growth forest destruction.
Image credit: Go Green! Compost, Paper, Recycle Landfill at the Austin Convention Centre by Chris Briekss | CC-BY-3.0